HISTORY

Brighton Memorial Library was founded in 1953 by Dorothy Cumpston, Leroy C. Percy, Jean C. McCurdy, Philip M. Liebschutz and Charles G. Rittenhouse. A group of independent citizens, they were dedicated to bringing excellence in public library service to the Brighton community. On May 25, 1973, following Brighton Library’s twenty years of growth and professional development, the New York State Board of Regents officially established it as a public library corporation by granting an absolute charter. The Library Trustees were vested with all the powers, duties and responsibilities of the corporation.

MISSION STATEMENT 

Brighton Memorial Library provides all the public services required by law and tradition under its Absolute Charter from the New York State Board of Regents and serves as the community’s cultural center. 

VISION

The Library is Brighton’s gathering place providing information access for the entire community while promoting lifelong learning and enrichment for all to enjoy.
 

VALUES 

Brighton Memorial Library is committed to preserving the highest values in the following areas: 

Customer Service
  To provide timely quality service with courtesy, accuracy and resourcefulness
   
Staff
  To sustain the highest quality of staff through recruitment, training and support
   
Environment
  To maintain a safe environment that fosters openness, trust and diversity
   
Assessment
  To continue ongoing evaluation of the needs of the community to ensure continuous improvement in library services
   
Advocacy
  To advocate for the Library, its staff and services
   
Diversity
  To value everyone regardless of age, race, gender, religion or sexual orientation

 

 

 
Hit Counter
BML
2300 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester NY 14618
Tel. (585) 784-5300 - TDD (585) 585-5302